Just some tid-bits on salaries. Or is it Tidbits? TIDBITS:
According to Spotrac:
The Cubs have
- currently committed 54 million to their 2014 roster
- of the 54 million, 13 of it is considered “dead money” – it is all owed to Alfonso Soriano
- of the 41 million in active 2104 contracts, 13 of it belongs to Edwin Jackson, who produced a 4.98 ERA and 2.0 WAR in 2013
- a little more than 2.5 million in 2014 is due to Jorge Soler, a top prospect, but he is not expected to contribute at the MLB level in 2014. In 55 games in High A last season, Soler .281 average and .467 slugging percentage
- Just under 12% of their active payroll is due to starting pitcher Carlos Villanueva. Carlos produced a 4.06 ERA in 2013 and is many years removed from his best career ERA mark – 3.94 – that came with the Brewers in 2007
So, about that plan of Theo’s?
So I hear there were few big transactions yesterday. I’m not sure how to quite make sense of it all just yet, but here’s a few guys that are on the move:
- Though there is a rumor he may be quickly moved to Toronto, the Marlins signed catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia to a 3 year, 21 million dollar deal. The south Florida native, most recently with the Red Sox, played in 121 games in each of the past two seasons – the most he’s ever completed in a season. The .272 batting average Salty posted this year was the best of his MLB career, though he might have had a stroke of luck, seeing as a .372 BABIP is high, and uncharacteristic for him. His 3.6 WAR was also a career high.
- Former Rockies outfielder Dexter Fowler is on his way to Houston for pitcher Jordan Lyles and outfielder Brandon Barnes. In each of his last 3 seasons in Denver, Fowler has posted at or above a 2.2 WAR and has had a BABIP over .320 – which Coors Field certainly may have assisted.
- Somehow, Oakland‘s bullpen is getting stronger. Billy Beane shipped Seth Smith to the Padres for relief pitcher Luke Gregerson. In each of his past 2 seasons in San Diego, Gregerson has posted over an 8.5 K/9 and an ERA under 2.8. He has a knack for stranding inherited runners, and in 2013 he posted a 1.0 WAR.